The Famous Person
The person's occupation, vocation, activity, calling, career, job, metier, rank, preoccupancy, craft, profession, sport, trade, profession, work, organization, etc.
in the life of
|K|| || |
- Karaca first came to fame in 1967 with the Apaşlar group.
- Died February 2004 of a heart attack in Istanbul. Friends say he could have been saved but for the slow response of the Istanbul ambulance service. The New York Times cited Karaca for his contributions in combining ancient Anadolian melodies with modern Rock Musical elements -- in their obituary on him. (See photo-article at left.)
|Female Muslim activist and former Turkish parliamentarian
- Became member of parliament (representing religious-right constituency in Istanbul) for Erbakan's Fazilet proxy-party on 18 April 1999.
- Defiantly wore an anti-secular, religiously symbolic türban to her first parliamentary session. "I'm proud of what I did," she says. (Didn't Jane Fonda say the same thing once?)
- She was subsequently stripped of her Turkish citizenship and her parliamentary status on 13 May 1999 upon decision of the Council of Ministers, when it was learned that she had secretly become a US citizen. (Dual citizenship is permissible for Turkish parliamentarians, but they must report openly and officially to Turkish citizenry authorities (within the aforementioned council) at the time it takes effect. Merve's failure to do that, cost her dearly. See photo-article at left.)
- AKP friends enticed her to return to Turkey in 2004, to write for the religious-right newspaper, Vakit. She now commutes between Istanbul and Washington DC, where she has a permanent residence. (Some commute, huh? Some friends, eh?)
||Model, TV actress||In the news: May 2007 -- Her Doctors strip, 'those' mobile phone photos, plus
The Pepsi Kissing Ad
Kayacı first came to our attention in the late 1990's when her formidable body-measurements were featured in an article appearing in the usually very staid Milliyet Gazetesi (see left). After that, it became known that she was in a steady relationship with the footballer, Emre Aşık -- who occasionally objected to the amount of flesh that Aysun hanım exposed on camera, not to mention her football team loyalty. Still, the Kayacı-Aşık love story continued blossoming, or so it seemed... Until, after 7 years without committment, it simply ran out of steam. And, although the couple spoke of a June (2005) wedding to keep tiresome reporters at bay, in private their relationship had paled. Just last week, it finally went into cardiac arrest. Kayacı (the newspaper headlines screamed!) had a new beau -- Fatih Aksoy, the producer of Çat Kapı (the Turkish version of Three's Company) in which Kayacı had been playing the Suzanne Somers' lead-role. No one had suspected anything romantic between them, they were just friends, ya' know... But when they were caught by Turkish paparazzi at Izmir Airport upon their return from Nice where they had 'shared a room', the cat was out of the bag -- and Kayacı fessed up. In an interview with Hurriyet Gazetesi (27 April 2005) she confirmed Aksoy as her new love-interest, saying, "People can't control their feelings. Emre and I fell out of love two years ago. We stayed together out of habit. I'm very happy now (with Fatih) and things couldn't be better." Of course, it doesn't hurt that Aksoy owns the MED TV Production Company which is set to give Kayacı's career a mega-boost...|
||Singer, Song-writer, Performer -- our personal favorite in the category||Click to see
Kayahan's own 'dedicated' page!|
Veteren Movie & TV Actor
|Actor (conventional and erotic movies), Screenplay Writer||Also see the |
'Turkish Movies, etc. Catalog'
cheerful and erotik
|Former Adult Film Star, now award-winning Legitimate Film Actress
||See a lot more of Sibel Kekilli in the Turkish Movies Catalog.|
|She was problee in a rush,
and just forgot...Gözcü Gazetesi
14 June 2004
|Cem Uzan's sister-in-law (his wife's sister)||In the News: 14 June 2004... Koçibey (on a trip from the States where she resides) donned her skimpiest mini skirt and hopped some of Istanbul's most famous bars last night. Feeling no pain by the time she reached the Caliente Club in Balmumcu, she rewarded the pesky paparazzi with the 'free-kick' shown at left. Witnesses couldn't agree whether she was wearing a teeny-weeny thong beneath the skirt -- or nothing at all...
Learn the Turkish idioms used in the photo-article:
having just arrived
to show oneself off
locked in close embrace
|Religious-right Politician|Click to see
Husrev Kutlu in the
Newspaper Reader's Encyclopedic Dictionary.